A classic and for a reason! It’s cozy and quick to make.
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan (better to be shaved from the block vs. pre-shredded)
- 1/2 cup finely grated pecorino Romano
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 oz thickly cut pancetta or bacon, sliced into pieces
- 6 oz pasta of your choice (about half a box)
- Whisk the 1 full egg and additional 1 egg yolk in a bowl. Add in grated cheeses and season liberally with ground pepper and salt.
- Fill a large pot with water and season water with lots of salt. Bring to a boil and add pasta.
- Cook the chopped pancetta or bacon on a pan over medium-high heat. Remove from heat once they are just crispy. Clean out the grease from the pan
- Once pasta is al dente (about 10-15 minutes), reserve about 1/2 cup of pasta water and set aside. Drain the pasta.
- Add pasta to the skillet with the bacon. Keep heat on low. Add about 1/2 of the cheese and egg mixture to the skillet and mix to combine. Add a bit of pasta water before adding the remaining cheese and egg mixture. Add more pasta water if it needs to be creamier. Serve and top with cracked pepper and freshly grated cheese.