This recipe comes together quickly, works with many side dishes, and is satisfying in any season.
Shaved Apple and Fennel Salad with Candied Walnuts
Prep Time15 mins
- 1 red apple
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1/2 cup blue cheese (or white cheddar)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Using a mandoline, a grater with 1 large hole, or a veggie peeler, peel the apple into thin shaves
- Cut the greens on top of the fennel bulb off and toss. Using the same tool as you did for the apple, shave the fennel bulb until you have the desired amount of shaved fennel
- Heat butter on a pan over medium heat. Once melted, add the walnuts and sprinkle with sugar. Stir walnuts to coat, and remove from the pan once toasted and caramelized (about 5 minutes)
- Plate the salad with the apples, fennel, blue cheese, and walnuts. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.