This recipe is perfect for Fall, but it’s a great side in any season. I recommend buying pre-shaved brussels if possible, but if you only have whole sprouts on hand, those will do too (just a bit more prep work.) The tang from the balsamic vinegar, sweetness from the maple syrup, and richness from the blue cheese gives to a wonderful marriage of flavor.
Shaved Balsamic Brussels and Carrots with Blue Cheese
- 1 package (about 2 cups) shaved brussels sprouts
- 1 large carrot, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Steam carrots by placing in a microwave safe bowl and covering with water. Put in microwave for ~2 minutes or until semi-soft. You can also do this on the stove, but the microwave is quicker. Carrots take much longer to roast than brussels and walnuts, so putting them raw in the oven with the rest of the veggies won't work well.
- In a medium bowl, mix brussels, chopped carrot, walnuts, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Mix to coat the oil over the veggies.
- In a small bowl, whisk maple syrup and balsamic vinegar until smooth. Pour over veggies, tossing to coat.
- On a medium baking tray, spread out veggies. Drizzle with more maple syrup if preferred.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven and stir around using a wooden spoon to flip veggies a bit. This will allow all sides to get that crispy/caramelization we all love.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until your level of crispiness is achieved.
- Top with blue cheese and serve.