Pesto is such a simple joy for me. The salty flavor from the cheese, silkiness from the oil, and freshness from the herbs. You can sub any fresh herbs or combination of herbs for this recipe, I’ve done it with basil, arugula, ramps, and carrot tops. Serve over pasta, spread on a toasted baguette, or use as a sauce for sweet potatoes and other grilled veggies.
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (do yourself a favor and purchase a hunk of nice Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- Salt and Pepper
- Add pine nuts and garlic to a food processor and pulse until you have a paste consistency.
- Add basil leaves and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pulse a little bit but not completely.
- Add olive oil and lemon juice, processing as you go so the paste becomes smoother.
- Add Parmesan cheese and pulse until completely smooth.
- Add a bit more salt and pepper and taste to determine if you need to tweak anything to your preferences.